Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A GREAT dinner table game

As a mother of five, I've always struggled to find games that everyone can play. There are very few activities or games that interest my entire brood, ages 21 months to 10 years. A good standby is coloring. Everyone likes to color, right? So I'm always trying to think of other activities that everyone can play.
Here is one of my favorites. We eat dinner together every single night. With the exception of an occasional Saturday night when my husband and I get out alone, we are always at the dinner table together. So I made up this game where you take turns saying something you like about the person next to you. So we pick one child to start with and say go right...and so each one makes a really great comment about their sibling-sometimes it's just really sweet and sometimes it's really funny-but it's a crowd pleaser of a game, let me tell you. And it can go on and on. Then we'll go left, across...they figure out all kinds of ways to say nice things about one another. Refreshing, huh? Imagine siblings TRYING to prolong a game in which they can say kind things.
Kids really do love their siblings. It's hard to show that. And sometimes all they need is FUN way to show they care.
And they especially love when mom and dad get to say nice things about each other. It's amazing...mom and dad appreciating oneanother NEVER gets old to them. More blogs on that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment